Sunday, August 21, 2011

At least I know where I stand....

J and I had a lovely day together.  W had spend the night at Cousin Kyle's house (thanks again, Kyle!) so it was just the three of us this morning.  Christopher slept in, while J and I got up, snuggled on the couch, watched some Batman, read some books, and played Bey Blades.  While Chris drove out to pick up the big boy, J and I went to the bookshop to buy a new Dragonbreath book, drove out to Hobson's Choice to pick up a little something for Jana that I can't wait to tell you all about but I don't want to ruin the surprise for her, came home and read a little Dragonbreath, then went for a walk. 

J and I walked for a while holding hands, then he took off running as hard as he could for a little while and I just watched him, thinking how big and strong he was getting.  He was so proud that he had run in a  "race" earlier this summer and kept talking about how that's probably why he was so much faster than I was, because I had never been in a running race, just in a swimming race.  When he wasn't running ahead of me, he just talked and talked....about where we were going, about how we should take all the little berries we found on the ground and throw them on the sidewalk so bad guys will slip on them, about what would happen if we threw them in the road and then cars would slip on them (but maybe just bad guy cars, I suggested, much to his relief), and on and on.  I held his warm little hand, and listened to him, asking questions and oohing and aahing at the right moments to encourage him to keep sharing what was running through his mind.  It was a beautiful walk; I swear to you, we even skipped part of the way home. 

I couldn't help myself, at one point I said to him "J, you know who I love?"  which I say all the time and in response I usually get a big sigh and a "yeah, I know, me; you say that all the time!"    But today, my sweet boy looked up at me and said, "Me. You know what I love?"  (and...wait for it, people...)  "Swimming."

I suppose I should have seen that one coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment